Sunday, December 9, 2007

The story of us

Ted and I were one of the last couples in our group of friends to get married. Our goal was to create a celebration unlike any wedding they had ever attended while allowing personal touches to uniquely scream "Ted and Christie!"

The moment I walked into our venue, Bella Sera, I knew this was where I was going to get married. It was magnificent...unlike any place I had ever seen. We booked it immediately. Ironically, the venue was located less than a mile from my townhouse and while Ted and I were dating we saw the venue being built- brick by brick. So, as our relationship evolved, the venue was completed. Bella Sera literally means a beautiful evening and so our theme was created. Since Bella Sera was actually built by a local catering company, Greco's Catering, we had no doubt that whatever cuisine we would choose would be exceptional.

One of the first dates Ted and I had been on, nearly seven years ago, was a cocktail party held at the university where Ted is now employed. The party had an international theme and the food was served in unique action stations. I didn't know it then, but that was what we chose to do for our wedding. Five action food stations - decorated as beautifully as the food tasted. Pasta- Salad-Seafood-Asian- and Carving gave our guests a wide array of choices.

Once the venue and food had been selected, elements just seemed to fall into place. I wanted to play up the Tuscan theme of Bella Sera. I ordered parchment paper wedding invitations. I found plaster urns to fill with silk flowers and grapes to make centerpieces. Burgandy with accents of moss green and ivory became our colors. Soon bridesmaids gowns were found and a unique favor had been located. We chose pear infused olive oil favors with personalized labels from the Napa Valley. This was a tribute to Ted's Californian roots. To honor my hometown, we hired the local string quartet.

Since our wedding ceremony had initially been planned to be outdoors in front of the pond, I searched to find a great alternative to the unity candle. We agreed upon having a "Cord of Three Strands" ceremony- commonly known as "God's Knot." The cord which comprised of a gold, a white, and a purple strand each represented the bride, groom, and Christ. The biblical passage from Ecclesiastes 4:12 "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken" illustrates the importance of Christian companionship. This was a unique way to demonstrate that God is at the center of our marriage.

There were also many aspects weaved into the wedding to honor my late mother, Christine. Included in the flower girl baskets were dried flowers from my mother's funeral flowers. I had saved them for 13 years to be dropped down the aisle right before my father and I. I had her picture in a locket wrapped around my bridal bouquet along with several in frames with poems in the lobby area. Two more ways I incorporated to honor my mom was a special note in the program and her favorite treat was included in Out of Town Steeler bags distributed by the hotel. Lastly, my parents song, Brown Eyed Girl, was played during the reception.

As I mentioned before, Ted and I were among the last to marry so many of our friends had small children. We never contemplated not allowing the kiddos at our wedding- we both adore children and made many special accomodations for them. In a room off the side of the main hall, a Children's food stations was made with child friendly foods like chicken fingers and mac and cheese. I had made each child a Wedding Activity Book and goody bag with crayons, snacks, and little toys! The plastic snakes were a huge hit! The children's play area had lollipop flower centerpieces which doubled as their favors with soft blocks and puzzles to amuse them. Our talented DJ, Derrick Wray, provided a light show that mesmerized the children allowing for the most adorable photographs on the dance floor!

A few other ways that made our wedding stand out from others included two signature cocktails, preceremony drinks and hor d' overes in additional to cocktail hour, bouquet dedication to my grandmother, and the elimination of many traditional elements of a wedding.

So although I wasn't a size 4 bride, did not get married in a church, or have a head table, our wedding was a spectacular success. It was important to both of us that we show the world that you can have a Christ-centered ceremony and an elegant reception without being the traditional church and hotel ballroom wedding that we have all become so accustomed to. The very best compliment that I received was from a friend that said that the wedding was so "us." Mission accomplished.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Christie and congrats on you nuptials! I am newly engaged and I really want to have our wedding at Bella Sera. I think the venue is amazing and I really enjoyed your photos and blog. Your wedding looked classy and elegant with great attention to detail, which is just what I want. We also want to have our ceremony and reception at the same venue and I was happy to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. I was wondering if you could answer a few question for me? Was the in house planner really that great? Did the day go smoothly? And was it somewhat affordable (do-able, not a bank breaker) and within your budget? We are going to have about 50 people, I would like to keep it intimate. If you can comment back,I will be checking and I hope to hear your answers! Thanks!
-Elizabeth

Christie Pham said...

Congrats on your engagement! Thanks for the compliments! Nick Borelli- in house planner- is fantastic. To make a long story short, I fired the "so called" Day of Coordinator on my wedding day. No one showed up from her company until 30 mins before my ceremony. It was fine because Nick set everything up just as I wanted.

The day went so perfectly! It was better than I could have ever imagined. The entire Bella Sera staff made sure every detail was taken care of! I had to switch my ceremony from outdoors to indoors at the rehearsal the night before. This could have been stressful- but it all worked out wonderfully and I would not have changed a thing!

Budget. Hmm... We had about 110 guests and went all out with the food stations, signature drinks, etc. I'll be happy to share prices via email. I will say that it has been six months since our wedding and we are still getting compliments!

Please email me at psychgalbride@yahoo.com