Tuesday, November 20, 2007

All I really need to know I learned while planning my wedding

If you haven't ever read Robert Fulghum's All I really need to know I learned in kindergarten I definitely recommend you pick up a copy. In his 1989 bestseller you are shown that true wisdom lies in the small things like: "Share everything. Play fair. Don't hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. and Flush."

Here's the "wisdom" I gleaned from wedding planning:

  • White and ivory are interchangeable. No one is going to care or even notice if your programs are white and your linens are ivory. Chill.
  • Before you consider going to try on bridal gowns, be prepared to show your body to a lot of strange people. And remember to wear some decent underwear... no one else wants to see your thong!
  • There will always be things that go wrong on "your day." There is no such thing as a perfect wedding. Contrary to the millions of magazine articles and books you have read. Use this as your new mantra. Repeat after me: There is no such thing as the perfect wedding... There is no....
  • Bridezilla is *not* a term that you should aspire to being called.
  • Just because you had a lovely wedding does not mean that you should quit your day job and become a wedding planner.
  • Everyone loves the hokey pokey---Come on... you put your right foot in... you put your right foot out... Just because you put something on your DJ's do not play list does not mean that a million guests won't request it.


No comments: