Monday, November 19, 2007

Ways to Save Money on your Wedding- Part 2

Just as I promised, here are more tips for saving money on your wedding!

Let's talk bridal attire. Don't spend a fortune on those cutesy Mrs. XXX sweatshirts, t-shirts, and undies. For much less you can make them yourself. If you can iron, you can handle this DIY project. The iron ons cost between $1- 6. Shoes: DSW! I got my $60 sequin shoes for $9.99! Filene's Basement is another great place to find quality shoes at reasonable prices. Jewelry: Each season department stores clearance their inventory and you can find beautiful necklace and earring sets for pennies! I bought my bridesmaids Swarovski crystal necklaces and earrings at Steinmart for less than $50. At Michaels craft store, I found Swarovski crystal kits to make photo bracelets for $7.99.

Bridal Beauty Bargains: I considered getting my teeth professionally whitened until I saw the prices. Fortunately you can get awesome results from the classic Crest Strips. Since I have sensitive teeth I only used them once daily rather than twice but the end result was remarkable. You can frequently find $5 off coupons online or in the Sunday paper for the strips. For the holidays, Target has a Crest bundle with whitening strips, toothpaste and mouthwash.

In my younger days I did some hair modeling for local salons. I'll share with you a trade secret: for deep conditioning skip the salon and head for Walmart. For less than $3 you can get Le Kair Cholesterol Strengthening and Conditioning Cream. Its a thick pink or yellow cream that you slather over your hair after shampooing, don a shower cap, and run warm water over your head. Rinse, style and be amazed at the silky softness of your tresses.

Spa pampering: Ssh, I'll let you in on another of my favorite secrets. Beauty schools. Instead of forking over $60 for a mani/pedi, grab your favorite gal pal and head for the nearest Empire or other beauty school.

Nails: Ever since my then fiance put that shiny rock on my left hand, I have been obsessed with keeping my nails looking perfect. I have a terrible habit of biting my nails so I spend the money to get full faux nails. I highly recommend "solar" or "pink and white" nails. These suckers are nearly indestructible. Unlike a traditional acrylic tip that needs to be painted, these nails are instantly french manicured. No need to paint or wait for them to dry! As you might suspect, they are on the pricey side- full set for $50 but you can go three weeks without needing to get them filled. Plus- if you are anything like me- you will never have to worry about chipping a nail again. Now if you are lucky enough to grow out your natural nails, here's a money saving tip for you. Purchase a DIY acrylic nail kit. Place 2-3 drops of the liquid acrylic into a bottle of clear top coat. This will not only strengthen your nails but also lengthen your manicure.

No comments: