Sunday, November 18, 2007

Gown Shopping reality

Gown shopping. The happiest and most sad days of my life. I was thrilled to be shopping for a wedding gown but completely blindsided by the fact that unless you are a size 4 you will not be able to actually try on gowns in "regular" boutiques or even be welcomed. I tried on gowns at about six stores. The first was the notorious David's Bridal- home of the plus size bride. I knew that they would have dresses in "my size" and that they would not be snotty. Other plus size brides had suggested this being my first stop because you can find what styles look best on your figure. ***News flash*** Not every plus size bride has to wear an a-line, long sleeved ugly frock with the side ruching. My second stop was at a local boutique where staff smiled to my face but giggled and whispered behind my back. Needless to say I did not find my dream gown there. The middle aged woman who wore way too much makeup simply held a few gowns up against me and said something about how she could order one of these gowns in MY size. But it would have to be paid in full before it was ordered and it was nonreturnable. So- let me get this straight. I am suppose to choose the most expensive piece clothing I will ever buy only after seeing a much smaller version of the gown being held up to me. Yeah right. I was outta there!

Third store was another well known mega bridal store: Alfred Angelo. Again, I knew they would have at least a few gowns I could actually try on. The women who worked in these stores actually treated me like a valued customer. I braved a "trunk show" at the next store, that sold exclusively Demetrios gowns. This is where I encountered the worst discrimination. Although this designer advertises that his gowns are designed to fit up to a size 24, he obviously does not actually want plus size women buying his gowns. I had the pleasure (cough cough) of meeting one of the designers. He spent about five minutes sharing how he could change this or that on the gown to accommodate my larger size then he was off to spend his time with the "pretty thin brides." The ones who got the oohs and aahs and had three or four different sales ladies dancing around them bringing them gown after gown. It was far too much for me to handle. I got dressed and marched myself out of the store never to return. I took a month off before daring to enter another bridal store. As I pulled into the parking lot of MB Bride, I said a prayer. Please God let me have the strength to endure any criticisms I receive and not allow their words to crush me. Immediately entering this store, I knew things were different. The consultant walked me back to a large section of the store that held all plus size gowns. There were at least 15 gowns of each size. It was amazing. The gowns weren't the traditional plus size frocks I was getting sick of seeing. They were beautiful and unique. It took less than ten minutes for me to find "The Gown." Before I had even tried it on, I knew that was my gown. The designer, 2Be Bride, purposely does not over advertise their gowns. Only a select number of stores carry this designer. They do not design solely for the plus size bride but by far has the best grasp on making the plus size bride not feel plus sized. My gown was everything I had ever dreamed of. I did not have to sacrifice anything because I wasn't a size 4.

No comments: