Thursday, November 22, 2007

Getting Organized: Your wedding planning essentials

Think back to that wonderful day your man proposed to you. You finally heard him say those fantastic four words, "Will you marry me?" Even before you could utter yes your mind was racing with thoughts of what time of year will we get married? who will be in my bridal party? and what will my gown look like? In the months leading up to your big day you will make a million little decisions. To keep you on track here are a few indispensable items every bride to be should have.

* A three ring binder - at least one inch thick...
* 100-200 clear page protectors to place magazine pictures, articles, and contracts
* A calendar with tons of room each day to write in appointments, vendor payment dates, and deadlines
* Highlighters in several shades- use to color code items on calendar
* Sheets of loose leaf paper to make lists
* Sticker tabs to categorize sections of binder
* Business card holder for three ring binder
* Zipper compartments for three ring binder (to place fabric samples of gowns)

Other items to place in binder include a timeline of what to do and when to do it. You can collect one from a magazine or download from the internet. As you progress in your planning, add a copy of your guest list, vendor contact information, copy of contracts, and registry information.

I don't particularly care for the traditional wedding planners sold in stores. I found that my handy binder and a book of lists worked much better for me. I highly recommend The Bride's Book of Lists: Things to Do & Questions to Ask by Amy Nebens. This little green book has it all. Vendor question lists, helpful hints, and directions for making a Bridal Emergency Kit are just a few of the features. It is even small enough to tuck into your purse. I literally did not leave home without it.

Program all your wedding related phone numbers directly into your cell phone. This will save you oodles of time. It may seem bothersome now but trust me you'll thank me later.

As you start purchasing the items for your wedding, allocate a particular space in your house or purchase Rubbermaid containers for you to keep your items. Be sure to keep a list of items purchased in your binder. Keep your receipts. I purchased a plastic coupon organizer to hold my receipts. This allowed for easy retrieval when I changed my mind and needed to return an item.

Lastly, remember to update your wedding binder regularly by removing pictures of things you changed your mind about, documenting purchases, and tracking your planning progress.

No comments: